Skip to main content

Chicken Feet for The Soul

Hi there!

It's been a long time since I wrote here! Last blog was back in 2016 a year after I got married. Maybe it was the busy work schedule that kept me from writing, but here we go again... this pandemic caused a lot of devastating things physically, emotionally, spiritually, psychologically but it also brought out the best in us, our hidden talents and desires. It made us more resourceful, thinking of ways how to make a living out of the things within our reach... It pushed our inner creativity, maximized our talents, gave us plenty of time to look deep within. And so here I am! I hope I still have the ability to write effortlessly, but when I come to think of it... Passion never dies. Maybe it can sleep, but it will never die.

Anyway... back to the topic.

Today is the 9th day of home quarantine for everyone in Mauritius. Not too much to do at home except to think of ways how to spice up my family's every day meal. By "spice up" I did not mean literally spice up by adding plenty of chilies... Oh no no... To make our every day meal more interesting is what I mean by it.

So... we bought chicken feet today which they call "Lapat poule" in creole. Normally, they would cook it l'adobe style but I told them that I would make them try our Filipino version of chicken feet "Adidas" (like the adidas logo, 3 feet = 3 stripes) by grilling it  . 

If you want to try it too, here is the recipe:

3 lbs of chicken feet

Barbecue Stick (optional)- soak for at least 2 hours before using

MARINATION

6 cloves of garlic, minced 

1/2 cup of sugar

1/4 cup of soy sauce

1/4 cup of oyster sauce

1 lime/ lemon juice

1/4 cup of vinegar

2 heaping tablespoon of crushed chili (according to your preference)

2 cups water

1 teaspoon freshly crushed pepper

1 tbsp oil

1 teaspoon red food color



TIP: Make sure that you taste the marination before using, so you can adjust it according to your liking.

1. Clean the chicken feet by chopping off the fingertips and washing all in hot water with ginger.

2. Pour the marinating liquid over the chicken feet, make sure that all are completely submerged.

3. Place in the fridge for at least two hours.

4. After marinating, pour the chicken feet with the marinade on one pot. Add water (enough to submerge all the chicken feet). Add 2 tbsp. salt.

5. Boil the chicken feet until it is tender. Remove from liquid.

6. Skewer chicken feet (optional).

7. Grill.

8. Make a sauce from the water that you used to boil the chicken feet. Instructions below.


Here's what I used to grill the chicken feet indoors.

**Borrowed this portable stove grill from a friend. First time I used it and I was very impressed! Very easy to use. Would definitely recommend! However, I have to search where I can buy this in Mauritius. Once I discover where I can put my hands on it, will definitely let you know. But if you are reading this and you know where I can get it, please leave a comment down below.




SAUCE

1. Boil the sauce to reduce the water.

2. In one small bowl, mix 3 tbsp. of cornstarch with enough water just to dilute it.

3. Lower the heat, pour the cornstarch slurry into the liquid while whisking.

4. Wait until it thickens. Add more cornstarch slurry (if necessary) to achieve desired consistency.

5. Season the sauce with salt, pepper and chili according to taste.



**You may pour some sauce over the grilled chicken before heating it up. This will coat the chicken and make it more juicy... or just dip the chicken feet into the sauce while eating**


CHILI VINEGAR SAUCE

2 tbsp. diced cucumber

2 tbp. minced red onion

2 cloves of garlic crushed

1/4 cup white vinegar

1 birds eye red chili (can adjust according to your spice preference)

salt, sugar and pepper to taste


***After a few hours, all the flavors will infuse into the sauce**


HAPPY EATING!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking with Clay Pots (a.k.a. Palayok)

Before anything else, kudos to my dad for showing me how to make fire out of a pile of wood! If that job was left to me, I would have toiled for hours with no avail! Well... I am just being honest ;) But anyway, I am very excited to show you what we cooked earlier, using an earthenware popular in the provinces, but unfortunately (and as far as I know), not here in Manila- especially now that electric stoves/ovens and induction cookers are the trend. Please do contradict me on this if you find my statement quite untrue. But what's amazing is that clay pots have been used for decades all over the globe- from Europe, Africa, Southeast and East Asia. It has been called different names and made into different shapes and sizes, but all of which have one basic purpose- to cook a tender and flavorful dish that would hopefully delight ones taste buds. The Philippine version of the clay pot is called "palayok" in Tagalog or "kulon" in some parts of Visayas. We used to

Philippine Independence Day Special: Salad Made from Pako (Fern) and Arosep/Lato (Seaweed)

Most of the time when it comes to making salad or ordering salad, we are not very interested as to where it came from. Most of us think that it is just pieces of leaves tossed in your choice of vinaigrette or dressing. All we are concerned about is that:  it is healthy (depends on how much dressing you put into it and the ingredients of that dressing... if it is full of mayonnaise then it's not as healthy as you think, my dear!) it cools us down (especially during a hot summer day where it is very nice to eat fresh salad cooled down in the fridge) it tastes divine (depending on your taste preference- the combination of ingredients and its special dressing/vinaigrette). But really... these salads have an origin. Just look at the way of preparation as well as the ingredients feautured in that salad- you will know! From Waldorf Salad of England to the Caesar Salad of Mexico* down to the Raita of India and the Greek salad of... obviously, Greece! But wait... how about our

Philippine blueberries?

Yes, I am not joking. There really are Philippine blueberries! I was actually amazed to discover this the first time I went for a climb to the summit of the 2nd largest mountain in the Philippines- Mount Pulag. My friends and I were concentrating on the rocky and sometimes slippery trail in front of us when our eyes caught movement on the side of the slope. There were locals bending over picking something from the bushes. At first, I thought, they were just picking some leaves either to eat or to use for medicinal purposes. But on closer inspection, the locals were actually eating what they have just picked right out of the bushes. That heightened my curiosity! So I asked them what they were eating.. And guess what?! They said they were blackberries (maybe they got used to calling it "blackberry" because of its color). They even offered some of their bounty for us to try. They were as small as beads, purplish, bluish, and sometimes red or black- depending on